Day 25 Anchor

 A few weeks ago I rigged up a clothes rail in my bedroom to hold my clothes.  I didnt really want a wardrobe.  I just wanted somewhere to hang everything and there was a wall which was good for the job.  So I bought some wall fixing things and a rail and constructed myself a clothes hanging space.  Id made sure that the rail was far enough away from the wall to accommodate clothes hangers.  Id made sure I hade three wall fixing things to hold the rail because I knew the clothes would be heavier than I thought.  It all went swimmingly well and I managed to get all my clobber neatly arranged in one space.   Perfik.

Last week I woke up to find the rail had partly fallen off the wall and my clothes hangers had all slid down to the hanging end and everything was bent out of shape and ........ Booooooo!  Two of the three wall fixings were bent out of shape and there was a big hole in the wall where the rawl plugs had been ripped out .  Hey ho.  Yesterday I set about trying to fix it.   As I was doing so I was thinking about what had caused the problem in the first place.  It would be easy to jump to the conclusion that Ive just got too many clothes ( true dat) and that the weight had been too much for the structure.   But actually I dont think that was really the problem.   The problem was that the wall fittings werent anchored into the wall well enough. 

The walls are old and the bricks a bit powdery.  In some places they were so tough I couldnt drill into them so instead of using plugs and screws that were long enough to really fasten into the wall in a couple of places I used shorter plugs and screws.  Of the 12 holes drilled and screwed only 4 held up.

The word ANCHORED dandered into my mind whilst I was partly thinking about the rail and partly about the blog.   If we are properly anchored we can bear much more weight than we think we can.  If we are not then at some point we might crumble, come adrift, not be fit for purpose.  There are lots of Bible verses about foundations and security and standing firm.  But only one that I could find which references an anchor.  Heb 6:19  which refers to our hope in Jesus and in His salvation being the anchor of our souls.  


Hope stops us drifting.  Hope keeps us steady.  Without hope in a God who loves and saves and a King who is coming back to set this mad world to rights we come apart at the seams.  There are many weighty matters which we have to carry as we get older.  Responsibilities and relationships and work and an awareness of the state of the world and our place in it.  Lets drill down deep into the Truth and fill ourselves with peace which passes understanding.  Lets walk through the valleys fearing no evil.  For He is our anchor and our hope

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6 who cares about us?!

Day 8 Parents

Day 3